Wednesday 8 February 2017

'Whole, Part, Part' Subtraction Stories

When we talk about addition, we say 'Part, Part, Whole.'  
For example: 3 (part) + 3 (part) = 6 (whole) 
The opposite is true for subtraction. We say 'Whole, Part, Part.'  
For example: 6 (whole) - 3 (part) = 3 (part)

Today the students made up their own subtraction stories using spare parts and an operations mat. Check out their stories!
 "There were 12 chocolate chip cookies, I ate 10. I had 2 left."

 "There were 10 chocolates, I ate 4 and had 6 left."

 "There were 12 deer and 2 got caught by the honey badger. There were 10 deer left."

 "My Dad got 5 shirts for his birthday. Alia returned 3. So he has 2 shirts left."

 "There were 23 deer. 11 ran away. There were 12 deer left."

 "I have 11 shells. I decided to take away 2 shells. That equals 9."

"I had 10 chocolates. I have 2 to my sister. Then I had 8 more left."

"I found 5 jewels but I lost 2. So I have 3 now."

No comments:

Post a Comment